Friday 2 October 2015

The Jadelist: SEP 15




Hey hey lovely people

Wake me up when September ends. Literally, where have I been all this month?!

Now we've got that cliché out of the way, let's talk about my ten favourite songs for the month of September.

Now during September, I get what I like to call 'self diagnosed S.A.D'.

Seriously, as soon as I know that Autumn has hit, when the nights come in earlier and the sun doesn't rise until late, I get super upset over losing summer, or at least the six days of sun that we had. Shout out to the not so Great British weather.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I believe that this has genuinely impacted my music choices this month. Have a look back at last months Jadelist and let me know if you notice a difference.

We're also having a little change around with Jadelist this time. I couldn't find original versions of some of these songs on YouTube, so I bit the bullet and decided to use Spotify instead.

The whole playlist will be available at the end of the post for you to follow or to listen to again.

Without further ado, here's the September Jadelist.

Enjoy!




1.

Hoppípolla by Sigur Rós



Well, I'd be surprised if you didn't know this song.

Let's face it, it's pretty iconic, or at least it is if you're a Brit. This song is used at so many award ceremonies or some kind of epic event.

Now for the real question: how many of you actually knew what it was called?

Hands up, I admit that it wasn't until a month ago when I heard it on TV and finally had the opportunity to shazam it that I actually knew what it was called.

Funnily enough, after listening to this on repeat a fair few times, it struck me that it reminded me of Go Do by Jonsi.

Yeah, little did I know that Jonsi is actually a member of Sigur Rós. Fact of the day here guys.

If you weren't personally moved by this song then I'm afraid that I may have to disown you.


2.

Do You Realize?? by The Flaming Lips





Now, hear me out!

The first time I heard this song, I never realised how weird it can sound, along with the lyrics too.

I was scrolling through Vine one day when I heard it in a clip. Shout out to the new music feature on
Vine.

So, after being obsessed from the six second snippet I heard, I naturally added this to my main Spotify playlist.

That's when I discovered how weird it could be, but c'mon, by that point it was too late for me and I was already hooked on the chorus.

How can a song that has slight negative tones hidden in it sound oh so beautiful?!

Though, The Flaming Lips, that's not how you spell realise...



3.

First Train Home by Fleetwood Mac




I felt like I had a little bit of music history when I found this song.

Now, there's no denying that everyone loves a bit of Fleetwood Mac, but I was extremely late on the scene to actually listen to them. Like American Horror Story season 3 late.

To me, Fleetwood Mac is the age when Stevie Nicks was around.

Imagine my amazement when I found out that The Original Fleetwood Mac was a thing?

I'm sorry, but is this Fleetwood Mac or The Sugababes we're talking about?! SO MANY MEMBERS! SO MANY VERSIONS!

Nevertheless, Stevie or not, this song has such a laid back vibe, but still gives a rock edge.



4.

Mrs Potato Head by Melanie Martinez




I feel like I'm one of those rare Brits that fangirl over Melanie Martinez and can't wait until she gets well known over here.

A few years back, I heard this remix of Britney Spears' Toxic called Toxic Wonderland and became completely obsessed, to which I later found was a remix of Melanie Martinez's cover of the song.

And then I found her other songs

#Obsessed

Back to the story.

During my nightly ritual of watching snapchat stories before bed, I heard this song on Twaimz's snapchat.

Searched. Found. Added to playlist. Replayed way too many times.

This song does have poignant meaning and honestly does give you a few minutes to think about the lyrics.

Do not brush this song off by it's name.

With all that and lyrics aside, it's a great beat that's highly catchy.





5.

Here Comes The Sun by Colbie Caillat




THE FEELS. And not only because I'm getting all emotional over the end of Summer.

I've always loved this song, ever since I first heard it in The Parent Trap. Nostalgia!

I'm not entirely sure how I found it either. I'm gonna go with Spotify radio. Whatever it was, I'm thankful I found it.

I've loved Colbie's songs for a long time now, and this just adds to the list.

The only issue is this song really should only be played in the Spring, so I'm just sat here feeling all upset over how I'm not ready for winter.

Someone send me somewhere sunny please!



6.

Honeymoon Avenue by Ariana Grande




I almost feel ashamed for putting this on here.

No need to judge me, I'm already doing that for myself.

First off, though I'm not Ariana's biggest fan, I'm a complete sucker for her music. Seriously, a lot of people don't like her, but her music is so damn catchy!

I think I found this through Spotify radio too. No surprise there really!

I'm not entirely sure why, but this gives me a musical theatre vibe. I'm guessing it's because of the backing vocals. That, or Wii Music vibes...

Either way, I fall in love with the strings at the beginning.

Judge her acting to your hearts content (Sorry Chanel #2, no approval here), but just admit it, her music is fab!



7.

Our Youth by Sunni Alven and Emmi



For once, let's just take some time out to praise SOME YouTube adverts.

By that, I mean that the odd YouTube advert actually has a really catchy song, so instead of hating adverts for a solid 30 seconds, I'm actually sat in bed, being a loser and jamming along.

This is one of those adverts.

Again, my end of summer feels were kicking in at the time. I'm sorry, I'm not emotionally ready for winter just yet.

It almost reminds me of Bynon & Bishøp's 'Hey Hey' that I featured in July's Jadelist.

If only I heard this song when it was actually summer!




8.

Pulaski at Night by Andrew Bird




Oh boy, do I LOVE this song!

Shoutout to the Orange Is The New Black fandom for recognising this song!

I mean, I've known and heard about this song for over a year now, and I loved it ever since I first heard it on the day I binge watched the whole second season of OITNB, so why on earth did it take me this long to FINALLY add it to my playlist?

Well, I was about to watch Star Wars one night, but the website I was watching it on was down, so naturally, I swayed back over to Netflix, which resorted in me rewatching OITNB for the umpteenth time and finally adding this to my playlist.

I think I just have a thing for strings. They sound so beautiful!

I challenge anyone to hate this song.



9.

Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman




Another 'late to the party' situation here with Tracy Chapman

My mum loves Tracy Chapman, but I never really bothered to take the time out and listen to her music.

WHY DID I NOT DO THIS?! THIS IS MY GENRE!

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Tracy Chapman to sound this acoustic at all.

I really wish I could remember how I first heard this song, but I can't for the life of me. I'm tempted to say it was on a show, but honestly, I don't have a clue.

Either way, I am now officially a converted Tracy Chapman fan.



10.

Mad Hatter by Melanie Martinez



Melanie is Queen.

Just gonna leave that there. Absorb it. Take it all in.

Honestly, her voice is just so interesting and different, she really is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, sometimes when I'm listening, I do feel like I'm kinda reverting back to that 'scene' time when Tumblr was secret and everything was edgy. Flashbacks to Cocorosie's 'Werewolf'.  

But c'mon, you can't deny that this song isn't catchy.

I think this may be my most played song of September. Apologies to Bec, who's auxiliary cable I have control of whenever I'm in her car!

Two Melanie Martinez songs in one post. Why is that? Because it would totally be wrong of me to put every track from her new album in Jadelist.

What I'm trying to say is GO! NOW! GO AND LISTEN TO CRYBABY!!




So that's it for Jadelist this month. All the songs from this months post are now handily available for you to listen to in the playlist listed below. All other Jadelist's are also included in playlists on my profile, so check those out too!




So, question of the post: What was your favourite song during the month of September? My guess is it's gonna be something you couldn't get out of your head since freshers, right? Let me know in the comments below.


As always, thank you so much for reading & I hope you have a lovely day!




Lots of Love



                                       




No comments :

Post a Comment