Sunday 2 August 2015

The Jadelist: JUL 15

Hey hey lovely people!

The month of August (a.k.a, my birthday month) is finally upon us, which means another edition of The Jadelist is ready and waiting.

This month definitely features a pretty diverse mixture of music, from dance to folk, with the oldest track being from 1968! Take that, 47 years of music!

So without further ado, let's get into this:

1.

Hey Hey by BYNON & BISHØP



So first up, we have Hey Hey by BYNON and BISHØP.

After a quick little Wiki search, I found out that the family of BYNON, real name Richard Glenmor Beynon, are actually from South Wales! #Represent, my fellow Welshie!

This track is one of those relaxed dance songs (which is apparently is the 'in' thing right now. I'm down!) that just pulls you in and makes you click replay and unholy amount of times.

I need to start taking notes down or something because I can never remember where I find half of my songs. I'm gonna guess and say I heard it as a backing track to a Vine or something.

Either way, enjoy what was my favourite find of the month of July.




2.

Sometimes by Break ft Hilton


Yes, that does say Hilton. Like Paris Hilton, the heiress and Socialite.

This track does not feature Paris Hilton.

No, Hilton is actually a producer and, as far as I know, not a socialite or heiress, though I did initially
think this track did feature Paris, and I was about to give her major props for her talent.

Break also doesn't appear to be a socialite and heiress, but is definitely a great part of the future R&B movement.

This track samples Sorrow's 'Never Too Far', which I have to add is a great song in it's own right, but Break and Hilton have just added even more to what is a great song.

Have a listen and see what you think.



3.

Worry About It Later by Brakes


If I could describe this song with one word, cute would fit it perfectly!

Little bit of trivia here: Brakes are actually known as BrakesBrakesBrakes in the United States. Weird, huh?

So Brakes were formed in 2003 in Brighton. This months Jadelist has a lot of British love!

The band are still going strong and are actually touring in September, if you fancy showing them some love. 

Could someone please enlighten me as to what genre of music this is? It's much more than pop or indie; Some kind of folk/pop/happiness music genre.

One issue: WHY IS THIS SONG ONLY 2 MINUTES LONG?!

4.

Do Right By Me by Ren Harvieu



Now, I can definitely remember when I first heard this little gem.

Back when my sleeping pattern was SUPER awful, I would listen to a few music channels at around 3 am - 4am, when they would play tracks by new artists.

These days, I sleep a lot earlier, but this song still stuck around.

Funnily enough, I always thought Ren was American. Not sure why, maybe it's because of how she looks.

Yeah, this lovely songbird is actually from Salford. Another point count for team Great Britain.

This song popped up when I was shuffling through my main playlist, and then I spiralled into listening to this song on loop for the next two days.

Seriously guys, get listening and get this girl mainstream because her voice is beautiful.

Not to be cheesy, but do right by me and listen to this song ASAP!


5.

Renegades by X Ambassadors


If you live in the UK, this song should probably be familiar to you, considering that it's from the Jeep Renegade advert.

It's pretty often that I hear a great song on an advert and scramble to find my phone to Shazam it.

It's also pretty often that I can't find my phone in time and miss the advert completely.

Praise for this songs pretty repetitive lyrics. Seriously, no shade! It made it easy to find.

It kinda has a OneRepublic feel to it, so if you enjoy Ryan Tedder and the crew, give a new band a listen.


6.

All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix



Okay, I completely did not expect to fall in love with this song AT ALL.

Long story short, after a downward spiral of Google searches, which started simply by listening to Amy Winehouse after seeing the ad for the Amy movie, I listened to this song for the first time.

Yeah, now I'm completely obsessed with this song and probably in need of some sort of musical intervention from how many times I've actually listened to this song. 

Seriously, this song was repeated non stop for a good few days. But who can blame me; this song is just insane.

I've never been that type of person to hate on music today, saying it's not 'real music', after all, time doesn't effect music quality, but this track actually made me think, just for a moment, how a lot of the music produced today lacks that kind of magical meshing and pure creativity that this song has.

I suppose it really does make a difference having a song made 'raw'.

I think I was probably the last person on earth to actually hear this, but in case you haven't yet...DO IT!

7.

Teen Lovers by The Virgins



This little number made it's way into this months Jadelist after I heard it on my main playlist. 

I'm pretty certain I found this on Spotify radio, but didn't really appreciate how great it is until now. 

Side note, I didn't realise this song had a music video until writing this post. Yeah, enjoy it!

It has that fun teen pop/rock feel to it that reminds of something between 1975 and OkGo. Yeah, weird combination there. 

But again, what's with the short tracks?! At just over 2 minutes long, I'm still a little hurt that this isn't longer! Sad Jade!


8.

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard by Paul Simon



Continuing in my Jimi Hendrix downward spiral, I learnt a bit of trivia.

Now, I've always known who Paul Simon was (shout out to The Wild Thornbery's Movie). 

Yeah, I didn't actual know that he was the 'Simon' in Simon and Garfunkel. My bad. 

After finally deciding to expand my basic music knowledge, I found this little gem and fell in love.

It's one of those upbeat little ukulele/guitar type numbers that just reminds you of a sunny day.

This song was a pretty big feature to me when I went to Ireland, coincidentally because every time it came up on shuffle, it was usually when my dad was pretty lost driving. 

Yeah, the line 'I'm on my way, I don't know where I'm going' couldn't have been more accurate. 


9.

Always Like This by Bombay Bicycle Club




First little shocker when I was doing some research on this lovely little song was that it's actually not that new.

It's actually from 2009, which I suppose makes sense. Don't deny it, everyone had a mini scene/indie/emo phase during 2009.

Flashbacks to the importance of Rayban glasses.

This is that typical type of indie teen heartthrob song, but man, it's addictive.

Give it a little listen and feel some nostalgia of the days when everyone was 'Dude' and side fringes were a must-have.

10.

Candy by Paolo Nutini



Finally, we're at number 10!

This sounds weird, but I knew this song existed for a really long time, but never actually made the effort to listen to it.

Now, flash forward six years after its release to a hotel in Mullingar called The Annebrook (Totally recommend if you're in the area BTW) where I was staying in the last few nights of my little Ireland adventure.

It was a Saturday night and the in-house band were playing in the Berty's Bar area of the hotel. That's when I began to notice the beautiful song they were playing.

I noted down the lyrics in my head, because let's be honest, I NEEDED this song in my life. 

After a little Google, I was surprised, and pretty ashamed that I didn't know what song this was. 

The years that have gone past where I never listened to this song. WHAT AM I EVEN?! 

Nevertheless, we're in the present and I'm obsessed with this song, and that's all that matters.



So, that's it for the July edition of The Jadelist. In the comments below, let me know what your favourite song of the past month has been.

Question of the post: Have you heard any of these songs before? Which did you enjoy the most? Let me know in the comments below!


As always, thank you so much for reading & I hope you have a lovely day!



Lots of Love




1 comment :

  1. Ooh, so many new songs to listen to! Thanks for all the recommendations, and thanks for sending your link to me on Twitter. I'm obsessed with Paolo Nutini, love him! (Secretly want to marry him) x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete