Sunday 1 November 2015

The Jadelist: OCT 15



Hey hey lovely people!

Am I the only one who thought October dragged this year?

Seriously, it feels like I've known some of the songs in this months Jadelist for years, when realistically, it's been just a few weeks!

Nevertheless, I think I've been lucky enough to find a few life-long favourites this month, so let's check them out! 



Okay, so one of the basic rules of Jadelist is that it's not a Jadelist unless it somehow relates to The
Common Linnets, right?

Well, I was aimlessly browsing through Spotify one day, when I thought I'd check to see if their new album, II, was up yet, which it's not (Thanks Obama!)

Anyways, I saw that the band members had all made their own individual playlists of a few of their favourite songs. 

I was listening to Ilse's playlist when I found this, and then I was hooked!

It has an indie-acoustic vibe to it, without being too over the top. 

Plus, it's always fun saying Mykonos, am I right?!



Ah, this little gem! I've definitely found a life long favourite here!

Not sure if I've already mentioned this, but during September and October, I became completely and utterly obsessed with Brothers & Sisters. Y'know, that show from a few years back starring Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Rob Lowe & many others.

Now, this song plays on the last episode of the first season, when two of the brothers are at the beach. 

Is the scene poignant? Striking? 

Nope. But as ridiculous as it sounds, it just leaves you feeling relaxed and content.

Maybe it's because I have beach goals all day, every day...

Nevertheless, it's a what I like to call calm or relaxed rock. I promise, you won't be disappointed. 




Apologies for the amount of songs in this playlist that are from Brothers & Sisters. It's like my One Tree Hill music obsession all over again!

But c'mon, with or without the show, this is a fab song.

I always love a song that has a few high pitched instruments in it, y'know, when they create that cutesy sound.

Now, I'm not the type of person to listen to heavy bass songs, but 1.42 in is basically my equivalent to the beat dropping!

I feel compelled to say there's something very 2009 about this song, if you understand what I mean. It has that pop/rock feel to it.



Did somebody say another Brothers & Sisters song?!

You're all totally gonna excuse me on this one though.

Words simply cannot express how beautiful this song is.

I've loved Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson for a while now, but pairing them together, considering their very similar music styles, was such a genius move.

I'm a sucker for strings and high pitched instruments, which probably explains why I love this song so much. 

It really does capture that calm, snowy day feel. It's simply magical. 

One question though: is it wrong of me to play this on repeat for days in the middle of Autumn?! 



Whoah, that escalated quickly.

From cutesy Winter Song to rock type Hang Me up to Dry!

Now Jade, how did this song manage to get into Jadelist?

Shamefully, because of Band Hero.

Now, my friends birthday was this month, and I was totally bringing Band Hero/Rock Band to her house. 

But then, I went all aboard the nostalgia train and remembered how much fun I had on it and then bam! Totally remembered this song. 

I'm sorry, it's way too catchy. 



Throwing it back to the 90's!

So, half of my snapchat is filled with either YouTuber's or E! News hosts. Just casually revealing how much of a nerd I really am.

Well, I was going through Catt Sadler's snapchat story one day and this song happened to be playing. 

Curse those 10 second in which I had to memorise lyrics to google. 

Shazam, a feature to detect music playing on your phone would be fab, just saying...

Anyway, I actually found the song, and my inner geography nerd came out because I don't live too far from Portishead. Sidenote, the band are actually from Portishead, hence the name.

And then the scary fact came rushing in: this song is OLDER than me! 

Either way, it's practically perfect and if anyone knows what genre this slow, jazzy style is, PLEASE let me know!



Guess who's back.

Back again.

Mack is back

Tell all the Jadelist readers. Or, something along the lines of that!

Am I the only one who gets a real musical vibe from this? Like some theatre production has already been made to this track. A play about a moped gang downtown? Too far?

Now, I'm not gonna pretend that this is on the same level as Thrift Shop, but man, it's really catchy.

Plus, I can't be the only one that's beyond happy to see Macklemore & Ryan Lewis back?


Okay, so one night, I somehow got onto looking at a list of the BBC Sound of 2015 music award nominees, and happened to come across SOAK.

So, I thought I'd have a little look at some of her songs. 

Again, this is another acoustic type song, but with an indie, almost empty vibe to it. 

Would you believe that SOAK is only 19?! 

Admittedly, I've only just turned 20, but still!

There are so many layers to this track, which creates a hauntingly beautiful atmosphere. 

SOAK is definitely one to keep an eye on.



Now, for my favourite song of the month. 

I'm not sure if it's my cookies coming into action, but as soon as I heard this song, Wolf Alice seemed to be popping up everywhere.

Again, this song is another product of me checking out the BBC Sound of 2015 nominees. 

Turns out Wolf Alice are completely FAB.

A lot of their songs are fab, especially Moaning Lisa Smile and Blush, but Bros has to be the stand out for me.

It has that upbeat, indie feel to it. As sappy as it sounds, I just love walking through the city listening to this.

There's just something very British about this song, but I can't put my finger on it. Either way, the music video for this song completely captures the 'being a British kid' vibe, and I highly suggest you watch it for some serious nostalgia.




Why? Why did it take me so long to listen to this?

Don't get me wrong, I've know about James Bay for a long time now. He's been with The Common Linnets a few times and looking on my main playlist, I added Scars in February this year. I have absolutely no excuse for me taking eight months to FINALLY listen to this song.

Dya know what it took for me to finally listen to this? The advert for his album.

That's right, I'm ashamed of myself. 

The guitar in the bridge of this song is to die for, so much so that I've been trying to learn it, even with my basic guitar skills. 

In fact, Chaos and the Calm is a solid album all around. Definitely one of my favourites of 2015. 



So, that's all 10 tracks for Jadelist this month. 


What I want to know is what was your stand out song for the month of October? Let me know in the comments below!


As always, thank you so much for reading & I hope you have a lovely day!




Lots of Love




2 comments :

  1. I love this type of post. I really need to create a play list more often :)

    love, lissyhayes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely found some new music to try out here!

    ReplyDelete