Sunday 14 June 2015

The Jadelist: MAY 15




Hey hey lovely people!

The busy month of May is finally over!

Though it was pretty hectic, don't be fooled that I didn't have time to create a new Jadelist!

So here's this month's Jadelist. Let's get into this:



1.

Rendez Vous by La Plage






This. Song.

I'm trying so hard to remember where I first heard this song, but no luck so far.

According to my main Spotify playlist, I added it on the last day of 2014, so I've known it for a short while, but i've suddenly become obsessed with it again.

Not too sure what I'd call this style of music, but it sure as hell is catchy.

Make sure you listen to the end portion, when all that's left is some lyrics, a piano and a lovely guitar rhythm!


2.

Really Love by D'Angelo






Seriously, I have no clue where I keep finding these songs.

They're not in my Shazam tags and I can't find any information on them being in a TV show. (Let's be
honest, there's a 4 in 5 chance that any song I listen to, I found from Netflix)

All I can think of is that I heard it from some radio on TuneIn.

Nevertheless, this song is very laid back and jazzy. Don't let the first minute or so influence you. The song changes a lot more after that and picks up a nice rhythm.

Funnily enough, a few weeks after hearing this, Spotify began doing adverts for D'Angelo's new album, so go figure.

If you haven't heard D'Angelo before, what are you waiting for?!

3.

Shiver by Giant Sand






I'll be honest, the only reason I looked into this band was because one of my all time favourite bands, The Common Linnets, would be in London performing at their show.

Well, the show's gone, I didn't go, but I found so lovely new music thanks to it!

This would definitely fall under the category of Sunday songs or sunset songs. They're pretty relaxed and honestly, really lovely to just sit back and listen to.

Heads up, this isn't the last Giant Sand appearance in this post!


4.

We Don't Make The Wind Blow by The Common Linnets






C'mon, The Common Linnets are Jadelist regulars!

So, the Linnets' new album should be arriving pretty soon, with this track featuring on it, but as of now, this song has been released as a feature to the new FOX show, Wayward Pines.


It's a perfect mixture between country, rock and Americana that creates a different, but familiar sound.

This song hasn't officially been released to any countries except the Netherlands at the moment. Yeah, I may or may not have listened to this song religiously through a proxy before some fab individual put it on YouTube.

I know that they're a country genre band, but trust me, it's not your typical country music about beer, tractors and grilling meat.


5.

Chains by Nick Jonas ft. Jhené Aiko







Now, I know what you're thinking: Jade, this song's been around for a bit now. Hardly groundbreaking.

Two words: Jhené Aiko

Seriously, this woman is a lot more than booty and groceries.

Her voice is definitely unique in comparison to most mainstream artists these days. It's almost soothing and trace-like.

Forget about the original version of this song, this just tops it.




6.

 Jumpin' Jack Flash by Giant Sand







First off, shout out to my friend Bec for letting me know that this song is a cover of the song by The Rolling Stones.

I still haven't heard the original, but a few days later, I realised that it was covered in Glee. I'm basic, go figure.

By now, I'm guessing that you've noticed that I'm really loving Giant Sand this month.

I know that a lot of people won't really like the voice in this song but there's something really raw about it, not to mention that the beat is incredibly catchy and the piano solo towards the end lifts up the mood of this song.

It's early days, but I think Giant Sand are gonna be appearing a lot more in Jadelist!



7.

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile by Sia








This song has been hanging around on my main playlist for a while now, only hearing it once or twice.

Clearly it was a song that I heard once and wanted to remember. Thank God I did that!

Sia has been really prominent within the last year or so, with a lot of your favourite songs from the past few years being written by her (Think Diamonds by Rihanna, Let Me Love You by Ne-Yo and Pretty Hurts by Beyoncé).

This song was made for the new Annie movie (Which I STILL haven't watched yet. Judging myself) and the music video for it is beyond lovely and may have made me a little teary.

When I say this song is catchy, that's an understatement. I may have been walking around the city humming this while in the middle of a journalism project.

I am in no way liable for this song getting stuck in your head for days.



8. 

Sun Song by The Common Linnets







Did I mention that I fell back in love with The Common Linnet's album again this month?!

Sun Song in particular stood out for me, especially with the lovely weather we had in May here in Wales.

Honestly though, I'm so obsessed with the first minute or so that I kept replaying it over and over.

This is a mainly Ilse song from their album, and is definitely one of my top picks from it.

Here's hoping you get to listen to it in 'the widest of blue skies' with 'the warmest rays of sunshine' your 'eyes have ever seen'.



9.

Rhythm Inside by Loïc Nottet









First off, let's condition our brains. This is Loïc Nottet, not Loïc Essien (Remember? How We Roll?), like I nearly wrote.

Now, May is Eurovision month and I am not ashamed to say I'm a little bit addicted. Embrace the cheese!

Well, this years competition was pretty meh, (kinda like 2012, but c'mon, it was gonna be a let down after last years fab competition) but there were a handful of songs that I listened to quite a bit this month, and Rhythm Inside is one of them.

Now, Loïc was the entry from Belgium, and is pretty well known there for placing second in The Voice of Belgium. I, along with most others just call him The Male Lorde.

I know that your immediate reaction will be to instantly call it out for just being Royals, but keep listening. Now, I think it's actually better than Royals.

Maybe I'm just jealous that I can't roll my R's like he does.

I've left the live final version instead of the studio recorded one because I think it's much more iconic and honestly, pretty much better. Look out for the key change at the end of the second verse.

Also, shout out to whoever choreographed this performance. Perfect camera set up and simplicity. Definitely a nice change to certain Eurovision performances that may or may not involve giant hamster wheels...



10.

Here For You by Maraaya









Now for the last song of May's Jadelist, another Eurovision 2015 entry: Here For You by Maraaaya.

Maraaya was the 2015 entry for Slovenia, and I'm guessing that most people who watched will remember the band (Yeah, it's a duo formed by Marjetka Vovk and her husband, Raay) for their headphones that weren't plugged into anything.

Apparently, they wear them so they get the same feeling as recording in a studio. Either way, why are you all focusing on that?! This song is FAB!

One of my Facebook friends defined it as radio candy, and I totally agree.

It was pretty disappointing that it only placed 14th in the entire competition, but it was number one in Slovenia (Think about that, where did Electro Velvet place in the UK? Exactly.) and charted in Austria, Belgium and Finland too.

Here's hoping Maraaya becomes a bit more prominent in the rest of Europe soon.




So, have any of these songs taken your fancy? Let me know in the comments below!

Now, question of the post: What was your standout song for May?



As always, thank you so much for reading & I hope you have a lovely day!




Lots of Love




6 comments :

  1. Ohh love the different music here! It's great as it's nothing I've ever heard/come across before xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I love getting comments like this, because this is really what The Jadelist is about; introducing new types on music that you wouldn't normally hear! Seriously, thanks! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She's great, isn't she? She could be singing the telephone book and it'd still sound great! Definitely a unique voice in todays world! xoxo

      Delete